What is Composting?
Composting is nature's process of recycling decomposed organic materials into a rich soil known as compost. By composting your organic waste, you are returning nutrients back into the soil in order for the cycle of life to continue. Finished compost looks like soil–dark brown, crumbly and smells like a forest floor.
Compost is made by decomposing organic waste such as food waste (vegetable/fruit waste, other kitchen waste) plant material (leaves, grass clippings), paper etc.
4 conditions are required to create compost: browns, greens, air and water.
- Browns: Dead plant matter like dried leaves, straws, weeds, grass etc. emits carbon.
- Greens: Fresh plant matter that comes from fruit and vegetable waste, green leaves, coffee grounds, tea bags etc. produce nitrogen.
- Air: Required for faster decomposition; the compost materials should be regularly turned and shaken.
- Water: The compost materials should get water in the right amounts; should be moist, not wet to have the right time of decomposition.
When one or more element is not in balance, aerobic decomposition is not optimal. This is when it takes longer or remains incomplete. It's just like getting the right balance of materials while cooking!
Types of Composting
- Aerobic Composting: It is decomposition of organic matter using microorganisms that require oxygen.
- Anaerobic Composting: It is decomposition of organic matter using microorganisms that does not require oxygen.
- Vermicomposting: The use of earthworms for composting organic residues.
- India produces around 62 million tons of solid waste every year.
- Most of this solid waste is organic waste which comes from our homes; that we carelessly throw into the trash, which if composted, can produce rich top soil for our plants.
- Most of us do not segregate our dry waste from wet waste, which makes composting impossible.
- Also, by mixing our food waste with our recyclable waste (paper, plastic, metal), we make even our recyclable waste less recoverable.
- The waste accumulated in landfills emits methane in the environment, which is 21 times more dangerous than CO2 causing air and water pollution.
- Thereby, adversely affecting the people living near the landfill; exposing them to various diseases like cancer, skin allergies etc.
- Segregation and Composting is the need of the hour!
- By doing this, a family of 4 can reduce their waste drastically.
- Imagine 90% of all the garbage vanishing overnight and seeing a cleaner, greener city! Even the government wants us to segregate our waste.
In fact, some of the Solid Waste Management Rules 2016 says: -
- Segregate and store the waste generated by them in three separate streams namely bio-degradable, non-biodegradable and domestic hazardous wastes in suitable bins and handover segregated wastes to authorised waste pickers or waste collectors as per the direction or notification by the local authorities from time to time;
- No waste generator shall throw, burn or burry the solid waste generated by him, on streets, open public spaces outside his premises or in the drain or water bodies.
- All waste generators shall pay such user fee for solid waste management, as specified in the bye-laws of the local bodies
Reasons for Home Composting
- Composting your kitchen waste helps divert it from the landfill and waterways.
- Plants from healthy soil looks better, produces better and have a much greater ability to fight off pests and diseases.
- Adding organic materials to the soil improves moisture retention.
- Composting saves money–you avoid the cost of buying soil conditioners, bagged manure etc.
- Home composting is a valuable tool in educating children about nature and the cycle of life.
Reasons to start
- It’s not rocket science - it's very simple!
- Strengthens the roots of the plants.
- Reduces water demand of plants.
- Replaces petrochemical fertilizers.
- Controls soil erosion.
- Help waste pickers & recyclers earn more.
- Mixed waste is not good for the society.
- Will help in making our cities look cleaner.
Presenting Sampoorn Home Composter
- Sampoorn Home Composter is a composting unit designed for urban living
- It enables one to segregate the organic waste (cooked food, vegetable/fruit peels, dry leaves) from the other waste material and convert it to good quality manure within 4-5 weeks!
- The composting is enabled through an aerobic process (through air) – a faster and a more efficient composting method
- The compost Bins are made of High-Density Polyethylene(HDPE) a great quality of plastic which has high longevity
- This compost, enriches one’s garden for personal benefit as well as contribute to the societies' parks
- Each kit is ideal for 3-6 family members
Why Sampoorn Home Composter?
- Acts as a regular organic waste bin - thereby avoiding a separate container to keep the kitchen waste.
- Makes composting an easy and a convenient process - just need to spare 2 minutes every day to add our accelerator to the kitchen waste in the composter. A boon for working and busy people!
- Portable and long lasting – a thick container enabling usage even while you shift homes!
- A good quantity of manure produced.
- No electricity/technical knowledge is needed for operating – a completely natural interaction.
- Consumes all the kitchen waste without creating any mess or foul smell.
- Economically priced – enabling a larger set of people to start composting.
- Interaction with the customer doesn’t stop at the time of purchase – Sampoorn team believes in keeping in touch even after purchase. To help, guide and empower the customer in the process of composting.
- Gives rich, organic manure - right at home!
- Uses Aerobic composting process.
Composter Unit Details
- Two composter bins made of HDPE,a great quality of plastic which has high longevity. (one can be used to accumulate while the other is kept aside for compost processing)
- Accelerator (a bio degradable agent that helps convert kitchen waste into compost faster and has high water retention)
- One garden fork (that helps turn the contents of the bin in an easy manner)
- A user instruction guide (that details the process, the do’s and don’ts)
- Consultation via WhatsApp, email or phone support post purchase till first cycle of compost is ready
Our Composting Philosophy
- Dump = Dump your organic waste into Sampoorn Home Composter
- Layer = Layer it with our accelerator powder each day!
- Mix = Mix the contents in the bin, up and down!
- Training sessions with RWA’s, maintenance and housekeeping staff.